Monday, August 30, 2010

If the Squash Bugs Missed Them ...

We haven't had much luck with our garden squash this year.  The squash bugs didn't spare us.  Come to think of it, they didn't last year either. :(  Some of our friends have had the same problem - but there are SOME friends who have had success.  And, thanks to their generosity, we have been "kept in squash" this summer.  Yellow squash.  I like other kinds, too.  But YELLOW squash is my favorite.

I have tried various recipes for the squash, but have to say that my absolute favorite way to eat yellow squash is probably the simplest way of preparing it.  We enjoyed it again for supper this evening: slice small yellow squash into a skillet with a little olive oil (I also love using bacon drippings), some chopped fresh garlic, chopped onion, salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste.  Stir-fry for three to five minutes and, presto!, it is ready to eat.  Enjoy!

Of course, there are any number of ways to "ad lib" this recipe.  Sometimes I throw in some fresh, chopped basil - or sage - or thyme ... or all three!  It's great with some good  crispy country bacon chopped into it. And, if the bacon idea grabs you, you'll probably also love some slices of good ham ( I LOVE country-smoked ham) to go along with the squash.  Then, there's always any kind of cheese to sprinkle in ... maybe a little cream ... etc.  Use your imagination.  Don't be afraid to experiment.  For me, part of the fun of cooking, is the "creativity" of it ... sometimes I follow a recipe completely; but LOTS of times (maybe most) I'm not afraid to stray off on my own.  A little of this; a little of that.  Have to say that there have been few times that something's turned out really bad (but don't ask my husband about the sweet-and-sour rabbit when we were young marrieds and only had a can of pineapple and a jar of home-canned rabbit from a friend in the cupboard.............).

Eat REAL food - including squash-bugless yellow squash - and  enjoy REAL taste.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment